As an avid B-B-Q lover, every season I am keen for the summer to get started so that I can dust of the charcoal barbecue and get creative in the kitchen – making my own barbecue food.
How many times have we wandered around the supermarket with the wife and bought thin processed burgers and kebabs to throw on the grill and satisfy our guests once everyone has had a few too many? Exactly and why do we do it? For convenience and to cut costs, but does that really help the pocket?
For years now I have made my own shish kebabs and burgers for my barbecue parties, I have also marinated thick cuts of steak and I have spiced my own chicken legs. The end result – happy guests and it is no more expensive than buying the ready-made products.
So it’s now time to wow your buddies with your ingenuity at being creative and a perfect start would be the burgers. (Allow yourself a good couple of hours in order for the burgers to soak up the flavour properly and keep them in the fridge beforehand so that they keep their shape when cooking).
Ingredients for the burgers
- 800g Steak mince
- 2 Oxo cubes
- 2 Eggs
- 3 tablespoons or more of Worcester Sauce (key ingredient)
- 2 Pinches of salt and 1 of black pepper
- ½ Onion (finely sliced)
- 2 Crushed Garlic Cloves
- Splash of Hot Chilli Sauce (optional)
This recipe will make 6 nice sized burgers – just increase the amounts for more guests.
How to make the burgers
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl and proceed to mix together with a blender or with clean hands until the result is consistent with no lumpy bits – cover with a clean tea towel and leave for an hour or two for the meat to get the flavour.
- Shape the meat into equally sized portions.
- Grill on the barbecue, turn regularly until meat is cooked.
I have been to countless parties where half burnt sausages and undercooked meats are bandied around and don’t get me wrong this is mostly acceptable when intoxicated but providing your guests with truly scrumptious food gives off a fantastic feeling and decreases the chance of any of them falling ill or worse – not coming to the next one.
In the next article we shall cover shish kebabs and also how to prepare chicken in the correct way for the barbecue.
Until the next one – happy grilling!!